Thursday, July 30, 2015

What is a Light-Year?



I remember when I was in elementary, someone (I can't remember who, specifically.) told me that one light year is equivalent to eighty Earth years. And believed that until I was in 2nd year high school. How stupid is that?! I was taught wrong.

Light-year is an astronomical unit for distance. It is the distance equivalent to the distance light can travel in one Earth-year. (D'you get it?) And that distance is, 5.8 trillion miles. We all know that nothing is faster than the speed of light.

Many people has been asking, "How many Earth years are there in a light-year?" Light-year is a unit of distance, and Earth-year is a unit of time, so there is no way these two are comparable.

I hope this helped someone. Have an awesome day, and stay cool!

- Michelle
 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com